We Love All God's Children Through Reading
OUR SENIOR PASTOR - Rev. Sharon M. Sabom
Sharon Monroe Sabom is a native of Fort Bend County. She was educated in Rosenberg, Texas, graduating from Lamar Consolidated High School in 1975. Sharon attended the University of Houston and obtained two degrees in 1979, a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and a Bachelor of Arts in Geography.
After completing her education, she worked for ten years in the banking industry and then became a medical administrator, working for an urologist in the Texas Medical Center. In 1996, Sharon became the Program Director for Rosenberg First United Methodist Church while she worked on her Master’s of Divinity. She graduated from Perkins’ School of Theology in May of 2000, receiving the Robert Weatherford Prize for Internship Preaching and the first “Spirit of Perkins” award – an honor that is selected classmates for a graduating senior that exhibits an outstanding spirit.
Sharon was commissioned in 2000 and ordained an Elder in the United Methodist Church in 2003, and has served churches in Dickinson, Highlands, La Marque & Hitchcock, Mauriceville & Deweyville. In addition, she also worked as a case manager for the Disaster Ministry program in the Beaumont area following Harvey.
Sharon has served in the district as the chair of the Finance Committee, chair of the District Committee on Ministry and on District Trustees. She was also chosen by Dr. Elijah Stansell to head the committee to reorganize the Wesley student center at Lamar University. On the conference level she has chaired the Committee on Spiritual Formation, chaired the Health Benefits committee and served on the Pensions Committee. She also currently serves on the board of Texas Methodist Foundation as a trustee.
Sharon is married to David Sabom, recently retired from U. M. ARMY, a youth mission outreach organization. They both have a heart for missions. Sharon has had an ongoing project in the Philippines since 2011 and had made three trips to the Philippines.
Together they are the parents of three – Marcus, Araby and Preston. They also have one grandson, Brax Lincoln. Sharon and David currently reside in Pattison with their Great Pyrenees, Molly Mae, and with their cats, Grace Meow and Stubbie.
The first authentic record of a church in the community of Pattison, TX, was on a deed dated July 21, 1854, by Joseph and Charlotta Greer to James T. Pattison and other trustees for one acre of land together with the said, “George Parker Church, for the use and benefit of a house of worship and a school house.” George Parker was a Methodist preacher and most of the people in the Pattison community were Methodists.
The Texas Annual Conference of the M. E. Church South, convened at Calvert, TX, November 20, 1892, in its 53rd session, stated “A M. E. Church was located at Pattison in 1876.” Pattison was in the Houston District and had been actively holding services since 1854. On September 6, 1883, George M. Pattison deeded a one acre plot of ground to the M. E. Church. The present church stands two blocks south of that plot, where the present parsonage is located. The first building constructed on the deeded Pattison plot was destroyed by the 1900 storm. Another building was erected and used continually, with some remodeling in 1950.
During the following years, two Methodist Churches were established. One was a Southern Methodist, and the other was a German Methodist. The Uniting Conference held in Kansas City, May 1939, recorded the union of the two churches, making them “The Methodist Church” of Pattison, TX. The record states “Whereas the officials of the former M. E. Church, North and the M. E. Church, South both of Pattison, TX, have consented together in a union in accordance with the Plan of Union adopted by the Uniting Conference. We declare that they are one congregation known as the Methodist Church of Pattison, TX.”
The current sanctuary and fellowship hall is located at 3711 Avenue H @ Highway 359. The land was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Johnnie Pattison in 1975. The monies to build and endowments to sustain the church and parsonage was donated by Mrs. Corrie Pattison Haskew. Mrs. Haskew, in 1974, pledged $100,000 toward the building of the current Pattison United Methodist Church to be matched by the congregation. The sanctuary was completed in March, 1977; the fellowship hall was completed in December, 1978. The current parsonage located at 3314 North Street, Pattison, TX, was completed in 1980. It sits on the site of the original early church, dated 1883.